Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Veggie season!


The warm weather is here and so are the veggies! So nice to be getting so much more local organic produce right now. And as per usually at this time of the year I am struggling to get dinner on the table in a hurry with all the soccer practices and games going on. I am so ready for the school year to be done. I'm looking so forward to having no schedule for a few months. 

Anyways back to the food.....I saw this recipe on Facebook awhile ago for balsamic roasted mushrooms and green beans with parmesan. It all sounds good except the parm of course but I didn't have any green beans on hand so I subbed asparagus (which only made the recipe better in my opinion). I can't find it on my Facebook wall at the moment but off hand it was 1 tsbp. olive oil, 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar and pinch of salt and pepper. mix together and toss with the mushrooms and asparagus then roast in the oven @ 350 for about 20 min or so till mushrooms are done. Oh man so so good! Mushrooms and asparagus are in my top five favs list for veggies! We'll be making this time and again this summer!




A few days later on Facebook I saw this southwest chopped salad recipe. Now I've seen and made my share of loser recipes from Facebook but it looked really good so I posted it to my wall. A few friends posted that they had made it and that it was really good so I decided to head to the store to get a few ingredients that I was missing to make it. And I'm so glad I did - this recipe is such a winner! Especially the dressing - its an avocado based dressing with cilantro in it and its outstanding!


Premixed - don't you just love all the colours!



And all mixed up - not quite as pretty but it tasted excellent!

I've made this twice in two weeks. the second time I used a mix of spinach and romaine and yum yum yum! It makes a huge amount so i have leftovers for lunch tomorrow and the dressing its awesome as a dip. The dressing recipe makes a lot of dressing so make sure you have some chopped veggies on hand! Now I'm just waiting for my greens to come up in my garden so I can make beautiful salads all summer long!




No comments: