Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Trying new recipes

I just finished going through all my photos from recently - I have so many yummy food pics to share and I'm so behind!. I keep snapping pics of our food then it seems a few weeks go by before I get them off my camera and ready to share. I find this time of the year to be very busy - its getting nice out so we are spending more time outside plus we have outside work to do now. Soccer season has started so we are busy a few nights a week with that plus art lessons and swimming lessons, etc. I know, I always have an excuse ;)

On to the food, a few months back I got the Oh She Glows cookbook at Costco. I love her blog and her book is excellent too. So this first recipe is on her blog, not in her book. Its called the Dinosaur Dill Crunch Salad with Salt & Vinegar Roasted Chickpeas. Her picture is much much prettier than mine but really it all taste them same in your mouth right!



So how did it taste? Well the 2 bites I had were delicious but as soon as my kids saw me eating they were right there asking for a bite which ended up (as usual) with me splitting my lunch between the two of them. And they gobbled it up so I guess thats 2 thumbs up times 3! I especially liked the dressing and my kids liked it on just a regular tossed salad so check it out. 

That Saturday was cold - it was a mixture of rain and snow out and barely above zero. So soup was in order for supper. I had a big batch of chickpeas that I had made in my pressure cooker to use up and I had some red pepper in my fridge that also needed to be used up and so the roasted red pepper and chickpea soup was born. I basically just roasted the red peppers in the oven then I sauteed carrots, celery and onion in a large pot, added the chickpeas and covered with veg. stock (just till there was maybe an inch over the chickpeas) threw in the roasted peppers and let the whole thing simmer for about 30 min. Then I pureed the whole thing in my vitamix with about half a cup of raw cashews to give it some creaminess. Everyone loved it and I've made it a few times since.




Brownies. I have been on the search for the perfect vegan brownie recipe for the last 6.5 years. Well search no more. Below is the perfect rich, fudgy, decadent vegan brownie. Don't believe me? Check it out.




This recipe is in the Oh She Glows cookbook and honestly it is worth purchasing the book for this recipe alone. Certainly not an everyday recipe but perfect when you want a decadent treat. Needless to say that pan did not last long.

No comments: