Sunday, September 29, 2013

Vegtoberfest!


Today was the kick off party for Vegtoberfest 2013! As described on the VofA website "Come and join the fun at Edmonton’s only Vegan and Vegetarian festival, Vegtoberfest, as we kick off the beginning of World Vegetarian Month. There will be displays, food sampling, food booths, Sailin’ On Vegan Food truck, information, and FUN!"


The festival was held at Earth's General Store. Earths General Store is a great little store on the corner of 96 st. and 82nd ave. that has tonnes of local, organic and fair trade items. They are a vegetarian store and all vegan items are clearly marked. If you haven't checked them out please do - the owner, Michael,  is one of the nicest people you will ever meet! My girls love going to the store!


So this was our first time going to the vegtoberfest kick off party. I had told the kids about it about a month ago and they had been looking forward to it ever since. They have excellent memories when it comes to parties and such so I shouldn't have been surprised when I heard a small voice ask me in the wee hours of the morning if it was time for the veggie party yet. It was a cool rainy night/morning - the kind thats perfect for sleeping in and I (wrongly) thought they would so they decided to go "get ready" for the party instead of going back to bed. They made this picture to celebrate todays event. Needless to say they were ready to go way before the party even started but I kept them occupied with some blueberry pancakes for breakfast. 



I think the thing they were most excited for was the food. I had told them that Sailin' On was going to be there. Sailin' On is Edmonton's only vegan food truck and we had been looking forward to trying some of their eats. Wow - just wow! Fantastic food peeps - if you get the chance to eat there I would highly recommend you do! We ordered the blt wrap, the vegan rueben, the irish fries and an order of plain fries.


Ok first up the irish fries. I wish I had taken a pic of the sign saying exactly what was on these but basically it was fries smothered in their homemade curry sauce, vegan cheese (daiya cheddar shreds I think?) green onions, cabbage and carrots. Holy moly it was so good! They were a generous serving and we devoured them asap. I loved them and would certainly ordered them again...and again and again and again. They are that good!




Ok next up was the blt wrap. This and the fries were my favs. I couldn't get over how excellent the bacon is in this wrap and its made from coconut! I've heard of the coconut bacon before on blogs but I never had a desire to make it. My mistake! Needless to day I have googled a recipe and will be making this asap! The wrap had coconut bacon, lettuce, tomatoe, shredded carrot and homemade roasted garlic mayo. Fantastic and everyone loved this. We almost had to go get another one - everyone was fighting for the last bite. Highly recommend this and the irish fries.


Last up is the vegan rueben. Seitan on rye with sauerkraut, vegan harvarti, homemade thousand island and a pickle. The kids and I love sauerkraut so I knew we would like this but I'm on again/off again with seitan. Sometimes the texture is awesome for me and sometimes it wigs me out. This was good and I would recommend it to people but I probably wouldn't get it again due to my on again/off again relationship with seitan. 

We're definitely looking forward to trying more items from them again and we'll be going out of our way to make it to the food truck again. I think they are almost done for the season :( but next year we will make sure to find them as often as we can.

Also there was some vegan cookies and donuts. We had to buy a box of the donuts to bring home for dessert tonight. I'll report back on how they were. They look delish and I'm sure they are. And since its international coffee day today Earth's General Store was serving up their fresh roasted (they roast it right in the store!) organic fair trade coffee and it was a good thing because man it was cold out! It was gray and damp and cold and the coffee was a welcomed treat for the adults. I made the kidlets a steamed vanilla almond milk when we got home to warm them up. Ollie is always eating the foam off my almond milk cappuccino so I knew she would be happy with it. Gabbie still prefers a hot chocolate but had no problem drinking hers up :)

I have been busy snapping pics the last few weeks but haven't had time to blog much because we needed to get some outside painting done before the weather turns. Stay tuned for some food posts!

No comments: