Thursday, September 5, 2013

Back to school = back to packing lunches

It's back to school time and that means back to packing lunches. I've mentioned before that we use our planet boxes for packing the girls lunches. Boy do we ever love those lunch boxes! Each girl has a planet box and a thermos and they really make packing healthy lunches so so much easier.  They are expensive but worth every penny. We've had both of ours for over 4 years now and they are in excellent shape still. The carry bags wash great and after a wash in the sink they come out looking brand new! And perhaps best of all is when the lunch boxes come home I just pop them in the dishwasher and the next morning they are sparkling clean and ready to be packed up!

Now that school is back I've gotten back to my meal plans. This is super important for me because I often send the girl leftover as part of their lunch so by planning ahead I make sure I make enough dinner so they can have some for their lunch the next day. But I also usually make a bean and/or grain salad up for the week too because sometimes leftover don't work. such was the case for one child this week and I knew it was going to play out like that so I made a a quinoa, mango & black bean salad on monday to have in fridge ready to go for when I needed it.




So the first day was an exciting one where because not only was it the first day of school it was the first day of grade one for our youngest. She has been looking forward to packing a lunch like her big sister for a long time so I had to make sure it didn't disappoint! Both girls had the same thing on the first day. I put vanilla coconut milk yougurt in their big dipper , a fruit salad of cantaloupe, kiwi's and raspberries in the bottom compartment, a plum and the small dipper with dip for veggies above the fruit and some carrot sticks and mini cucumbers in the top compartment. That day they also took their thermos with pasta e fagoli in it and I added a banana in the front of their carry case for an extra snack just incase.


Day 2 both girls had the same lunch again. in the large compartment I put a black bean taco in for them (black beans with spices, guacamole, spinach, chopped tomatoes, green onions and black olives all wrapped up in a spelt tortilla) another fruit salad with cantaloupe, kiwis and garden strawberries, some green grapes and dip above that and carrot sticks and mini cucumbers again. in the tiny middle square I put a small treat in - 2 surf sweet gummies.



Here they are packed up and ready to go. Note the bananas in the area where most people put water bottles. I always like to a few extra snacks just incase. also packed is the big dipper with some whole grain crackers in them in the front pouch (where is says planet box). Sorry for the blurry pic - not sure what was going on with my camera!


Day 3 - Like i mentioned above when I made my meal plan I knew there was going to be a day where leftovers weren't going to work for one child. My oldest loves the field roast veggie dogs and my youngest hates anything that even resembles meat so I knew there was not going to be leftover veggie dogs for that one for lunch (nor for supper) so below is the oldest lunch - a veggie dog, sliced peaches, veggie dip and green grapes, carrot sticks and mini cucumbers. In the big dipper was an orange choc. chip muffin to be packed in the front pocket. 


The youngest took crackers and hummus, peach slices, green grapes and veggie dip, carrot sticks and mini cucumbers, an orange choc. chip muffin in her big dipper as well and she took a thermos full of the quinoa salad. I put ice in the thermos for about 20 mins before I packed the salad and it keeps it really nice and cold.


Everyday their lunch boxes come home empty - I love that! If they have any little bits of lunch left they will eat it for snack before they get any thing else but it rare that there is anything left. They love all the organic fruits and veggies that I pack and I try to pack a main meal that I know they love so that they eat their lunch all up. I think a good breakfast and a good lunch makes for a great day of learning and playing. 


2 comments:

playlovevegan said...

I love the planet boxes! I want one so bad but it cost nearly as much to ship them to australia then it does to buy them :(

I found your blog on the dreena burton lunch ideas post. I blog here http://playlovevegan.wordpress.com
Look forward to reading more posts.

Born to be Vegan said...

Yes shipping was expensive for us too :( Maybe if a few of you went in on an order you could split the shipping - thats what we did and it help cut down the cost!