Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Whats cooking!

I have good news and bad news - the good news is my camera is fixed! After much frustration it appears all it really needed was a good long battery recharge and card format. Sometimes the answers are so simple its embarrassing. The bad news is these pictures were taken before the camera was fixed and all I had was my iphone. What can I say - we all know my camera skills are nothing to write home about to start with and the iphone and crappy lighting didn't improve them all. More good news - this is the last post with crappy iphone pics - next time it will be crappy pics from my dslr!

The friday before Thanksgiving a present came for me from amazon - Chloe's Kitchen and another book that I will blog about very shortly. It deserves its own post. Chloe's Kitchen had a number of good reviews on amazon so I was excited to get it in the mail. I sat down with a coffee and flipped through it for about a half hour that morning making some mental notes of recipes I wanted to try. 

First thing I want to mention is that if you have read my blog at all you know that I am a big fan of whole food recipes and in particular Dreena Burton. I feel she strikes a nice balance with mostly whole foods and a bit of salt, sugar and oil here and there - a philosophy almost identical to my own. I especially like that Dreena has a lot of whole grain and bean dishes because we pretty much live on legumes. I was not expecting Chloe's Kitchen to be that kind of cook book but I was hoping to find a few recipes to add to the rotation. The first recipe that I saw to make was a meatball recipe. They have tempeh, walnuts, and lentils in them and i was pretty happy with the ingredient list. I have been looking for a good meatball recipe and had high hopes for this one. I was not disappointed - these turned out great! I was really unsure about them when I was making them but in the end they turned out fantastic. I took some over to my parents house to taste test and it good 2 thumbs up from the omnivores! My dad particularly liked the sweet and sour sauce on them that was from the book. For some reason the pic of the meatballs went second here and I can't move it.

The second recipe I marked to try was the Barley Bliss Casserole. I loved this! It took very little time to put together and it tasted amazing! Its creamy and cheesy from the nooch - perfect fall comfort food. The only thing about this recipe is that it  takes a bit of time in the oven - about an hour and 20 min total I think? It worked out well for me because I prepped it and put in the oven before i went to get the girls from school and it was ready just in time to eat before I had to take Gabbie to tumbling. I made it pretty much as written but i used red pepper rather than green because that was what I had.








Another cookbook that I love is The vegan Table from Colleen Patrick Goudreau. So many great recipes in that book like the mushroom gravy, broccoli with garlic cashew sauce, etc. But I had a few bookmarked for awhile now that I still hadn't made so I tried the Noodles with peanut sauce and green beans. This was a big hit and I changed the recipe up a bit using broccolini instead of green beans and adding some roasted chickpeas in as well. It was a big hit!


Another beloved recipe in this house is the Kids Cheesy Chickpea and White Bean Soup. I call this soup broccoli cheese soup because I always add some chopped steamed broc into it and it is loved my all. I have always made this soup with cannanelli beans but I was out this time and used navy beans instead - wow the navy beans made this so much more creamy and delicious! i will always make this with navy beans from now on!



Yum, yum, yum! Its a very filling soup and its great with a green salad on the side. And of course a little dessert is good too. I made a batch of the double carob cashew cookies from ED&BV but used chocolate instead of carob and no cashews and added raisins (so not really carob cashew cookies I guess!). These taste like glosette raisins! I know there is a similar recipe in her new book but I've been making this one for a few years now and everyone loves it but I'm sure I'll try her new one too.


We are busy getting ready for Halloween tomorrow - I baked cupcakes for both girls school parties tomorrow and now I'm off to relax before all the craziness starts tomorrow!


No comments: