Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Garden muffins

Today was a chilly fall day - its was a rainy, gloomy 5 degrees. The perfect day to do some baking (and not much else!). My garden this year grew an abundance of zucchini and I grated froze a whole bunch of it to make the Garden Muffins from the 100 best Vegan Baking Recipes. I'm not sure if  have mentioned this book before on this blog or not but it is fabulous! if you like to bake this is a must for your book collection. this book as a great collection of muffins, pies, cakes, breads and it even has recipes to make lil cakes for easy bake ovens! Some of my favourite recipes are the pumpkin cinnazag bread (I double the recipe and bake it in a bundt pan when I have friends come for tea and coffee), the pizza crust dough is excellent and so fast, the banana bread is the best and easiest banana bread recipe ever hands down. I usually make it into muffins and add some chocolate chips and sometimes I add some peanut butter to the batter. Warm from the oven they are amazing! Everyone asks me for the recipe when they eat them. Get the book for this recipe alone.



Another recipe we really like are these Garden Muffins. The have grated carrots & zucchini, oat bran, flour (I used spelt and they work out great), cinnamon, apple sauce, raisins, non dairy milk, and maple syrup. In fact the maple syrup is the only sweetener in these and they are perfect for me.


Don't they look yummy?! They are light and fluffy and fairly healthy so far as a muffin goes. I got 15 muffins out of the recipe and froze half to pop into the girls' lunches and snacks.

One other thing i want to mention about this cookbook is that I tend to makeover almost all baking recipes to make them healthier. This book mostly calls for white flour but I always bake with spelt flour  and the recipes have always turned out perfect for me. 


No comments: