Friday, August 24, 2012

A Summer of Kale

Hey there!!! I hope everyone has been enjoying summer - I know we sure have been!!! Its been a pretty hot summer with most of the rain coming at night so we have been spending lots of time at the playground, sprinkle park, riding our bikes, going for walks and of course being with friends and family! After a long day outside when its hot you don't really feel like cooking (not me anyways!) so many nights a salad was on the menu for dinner. I have been trying to incorporate more kale into our salads and so tonight I have 2 kale salad pictures to share with you.

The first one is the Kale Slaw with Curried Almond Dressing from Let Them Eat Vegan. I modified the recipe slightly due to what I had on hand and it turned out fantastic! Mine just had massaged kale, shredded carrots, dried cranberries and the dressing. I really liked this salad and 'm not a coleslaw fan so if you on the fence because of that give it a try. 

The second one is the Southwest Kale Salad from the book Wild About Greens from Nava Atlas. Again this one is modified not because I didn't have everything on hand but I have been trying to cut down on oil in my diet after reading The Starch Solution so instead of the vinaigrette this called for I made guacamole and used it as the dressing (I'm cutting down on oils not fat - I have nothing against healthy whole food fats in moderation) and it was delicious! I put the optional beans in since this was a meal for me. I highly recommend that recipe and the book!




Speaking of the Starch Solution has anyone else read it? How do you feel about the no oil argument? It took me awhile to wrap my head around it but I think that in general I probably was/am consuming too much oil and I have made a real effort to cut it back/out. As I mentioned above I am not against healthy whole food fats like avocados, raw nuts and seeds, olives, etc and will continue to consume them.

 I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

No comments: