Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Salad, cookies and a special green smoothie!

Another Christmas has come and gone and I hope everyone had as wonderful a Christmas as we did. Christmas dinner was excellent and everyone loved all the desserts. It was a great to spend time with family and friends and the kids don't have school for 2 weeks so now we can really relax!

After all those big meals we were feeling like something a little bit lighter so I made this taco salad. It has all the usual suspects in it - romaine lettuce, taco "meat" (I use some field roast veggie ground), chopped tomatoes, green onions, black olives, kidney beans, and some green peppers. the dressing is a mixture of hummus and salsa and I aaded a scoop of guac to mine and put some crushed pico de gallo chips on top. Everyone loved it of course - whats not to love?!



Next up is a few long promised pics of the candy cane cookies. These are the chocolate mint melties from ED&BV with a few changes. Instead of a mint dark chocolate bar I used mini chocolate chips and then followed the recipe as usual. Then at the end instead of putting some chocolate bar squares on the top of each cookie I crushed a few candy canes and "dipped" each cookie into them. Then bake as usual and presto - candy cane cookies! The kids love these and I've made about a million batches of them this month alone.




I also finally made the Oatmeal Raisin cookies for ED&BV. I'm not sure what took me so long to try this recipe but I really wished I had made it before - they are awesome! Of course I added some chocolate chips to them. I made some for Christmas Eve this year and everyone else really liked them too.


And finally a green smoothie with a twist. I love avocado and so does my youngest but my oldest won't eat it. But i think avocados are just too nutritious to miss out on. So yesterday I decided to add half an avocado to our green smoothie and see if she would notice. This one had pineapple, frozen peach slices, dino kale, half and avocado, some frozen banana, a scoop of vanilla coconut milk yougurt and a little water. When I asked if she liked her smoothie she said it was really good! It made it kinda creamy and it was a little more filling which was nice so I think it will be a regular addition to the green smoothies from now on.


Some people have mentioned to me that their kids won't touch a green smoothie because it looks weird. Since the kids have been little I've always given them a special name. For instance above is a Shrek the Halls smoothie. I usually call them Shrek smoothies but I went with something a little more festive for the holidays. I've also use monster smoothies, dino smoothies, slime smoothies (halloween), etc. If your kids are put off by the colour maybe try the name thing. Works like a charm for us!

No comments: