Sunday, December 11, 2011

Happy Birthday!

Not to me but my Dad. Its his birthday later this week and we were going to have a big family dinner tonight to celebrate but my sister, brother in law and their 4 kids are all sick, my other sister had to work and my brother and his 2 kids are sick too! So we just had my parents and my niece over here tonight for a quiet birthday celebration. Unfortunately my camera is sick too (battery died on me - good to know 2 days before the school Christmas concert!) so I don't have any pics for you.

Since it was on a bit of short notice I decided to go simply with the meal. It was a chilly day out (december in canada - go figure!) so we had Monkey Minestrone from ED&BV (I know, I'm slightly obsessed with this soup - its so good!), a big tossed salad, and the garlic toast from The Vegan Table (best garlic toast ever!). It hit the spot along with some tall glasses of Silk True Almond Dark Chocolate Milk. My Dad loves dark chocolate so I also made the chocolate mint melties from ED&BV but with a twist. Instead of using a mint chocolate bar I just put some chocolate chips in the batter then I crushed up some candy canes and sprinkled them on top of the cookies right before I baked them. I also made the raspberry coconut squares from the everyday vegan and both were a huge hit! So dinner was a success - thanks mostly to Dreena's fabulous recipes!

No comments: