Sunday, February 6, 2011

Back to the food

Sorry for my blogger absence. I have a good excuse - I've spent the month of January painting. As I've mentioned before we're doing some renovations and I've spent every weekend in the month of January painting with my Dad's help. And since I spend all weekend painting I don't get any laundry, etc done so I spend the rest of the week catching up on housework and getting ready for the next weekend of painting. The good news is we are really close to done and I only have a few more weekends to go.

Now on to the food! I mentioned in my last post that we got a Cuisinart griddler for Christmas and what an awesome gift that has been. It comes with 2 flat plates and 2 grill plates and we're using it almost everyday. One of our favourite things to make is a panini sandwich and our favourite panini right now is thin sliced avocado, roasted red peppers, black olives, artichoke hearts, thin sliced tomatoes and red onion and mozza daiya. So, so good. And the pictures turned put pretty good too - so good I decided to show you two of them!






And to go with it I used up some of the panini ingredients and make a really good salad with some romaine and balsamic dressing. I think I added some white beans to the salad too. The girls aren't too keen on the paninis so I usually just make them a grilled cheese using daiya. Speaking of Daiya I am so excited for the Pepperjack Daiya to hit the store shelves in March!


I've also been doing some baking. I made the homestyle chocolate chip cookies from vive but I used spelt flour. I usually use spelt for all my baking. I want to start experimenting with some gluten free baking - both my niece and my sister have to cut the gluten out for awhile so I bought some of the Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose flour to try. The bag says you can use it 1:1 in your recipes so it should work just fine. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I also made a chocolate cake (the magic chocolate cake from JOVB). There was a birthday celebrated at Ollie's preschool and I found out the night before so I needed to whip up something quick. I added some of the enjoy life chocolate chips in the batter and threw some of the lets do organic sprinkles on and called it done. The other kids had these store bought cupcakes and Ollie had a generous piece of cake. Personally I think Ollie's cake was better than the cupcakes. Just saying.


Not pictured but also made were a batch of mini coconut carob muffins from vive and a batch of mini banana choc chip muffins from JOVB . The girls like taking mini muffins in their lunches so I try to make sure I always have a good supply in the fridge.







No comments: