Monday, October 25, 2010

So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverages are now available in Canada!!!

***ANOTHER IMPORTANT UPDATE***

They're coming back! Here is the official statement from Turtle Mountain:

So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage will be widely available in Canada by the end of February 2011. Due to a labeling discussion with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), our coconut milk beverage was temporarily unavailable. We are incredibly pleased that the CFIA has recently agreed to allow So Delicious to sell our dairy-free products with allergen information on the label. This information is so valuable and important to consumers, and we are happy to be able to communicate that our coconut milk beverage is dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and kosher. We want to thank Canadian shoppers for their patience and ongoing support. We are thrilled to be coming to a grocery store near you in the coming weeks.


I sure hope the creamers and yogurts are right around the corner!



***IMPORTANT UPDATE***

Many of you probably have noticed the beverages are no longer available in Canada. About a month after I purchased my first carton I was told that the beverages had to be pulled off the shelf due to a complaint by a CFIA (Cnadian Food Inspection Agency) inspector over some labeling. I waited and waited for themt o come back along with the yogurts. I got tired of waiting so I sent the nice people at Turtle Mountain an email inquiring when the beverages might be back in Canada. This is the reply they sent me.

Thank you for your email regarding our products. At this time only our frozen products are available in Canada. I am including our official statement regarding this.


Turtle Mountain has been working in full cooperation with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to resolve an important labeling issue. Recent CFIA policy prohibits Turtle Mountain from making the claim that the company's So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage is gluten, dairy and soy free. Even though those statements are true, the CFIA has recently decided to prohibit "allergen-free" statements on packaging. Their decision marks a major change of direction in CFIA's policy and promises less label information for allergen sufferers at a time when consumers are asking for more and clearer information on allergens. By prohibiting manufacturers from making "allergen free" statements, the CFIA is restricting the amount of information available to Canadian consumers, which raises significant public-health concerns. Turtle Mountain believes that the CFIA's decision to prohibit 'allergen-free' statements has such a critical public-health impact that it asked the most senior policy officials in the CFIA to reconsider. Turtle Mountain is fundamentally opposed to limiting the amount of information that is available to consumers. The best interest of the Canadian public is at hand, and Turtle Mountain is passionately urging the CFIA to act in accordance with their commitment to communicate important food safety information to consumers. We hope that this matter will be resolved quickly so that Canadian consumers will have access to valuable allergen information and also be able to enjoy safe, healthy and delicious dairy-free food options.



If you have any other questions regarding please feel free to call or email me.




I have to be honest - I was close to speechless and let me tell you how rare an occurrence that is. If this is the case then I guess Quaker should have to pull their granola bars off the shelf and remove all their peanut free labeling. Somehow I doubt the CFIA will be asking Pepsico (Quakers parent company) to do that. I've sent an email to the CFIA asking for clarification on the subject. Pretty sure I won't get a reply.

The nice people at Turtle Mountain did give me some advice. They also sell their coconut milk beverage in shelf stable cartons and if you go to this site you can order from them and apparently the ship to Canada.

If I hear more on this I'll be sure to post another update.






Attention all Canadians! Ollie and I just came back from a trip to Planet Organic and look what we found there...





So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverages! We have been impatiently waiting for these to come to Canada so we were super excited today when I asked someone there if they had any and he said yeah I'm just making room for them on the shelf right now, I've got 3 cases in the back. We picked the vanilla one to try. Ollie loved it so I'll have to get Gabbie's feedback and let you know. I liked it too but its not as fortified as the almond milk we drink so I'll have to mix the 2. On the plus side the schools will let the kids have it there so I can bake with it (yes!) but its pretty pricey ($5.49 a carton) so we'll have to go easy on it.

Now we're just waiting for the creamers and yogurts to come.....






14 comments:

Connie said...

This is wonderful news! I had the original coconut milk beverage while visiting friends in California earlier this year, and I have been missing it ever since! And it will be even more wonderful when we can buy the coconut milk yogurt and creamer here, too!

Anonymous said...

I bought a container locally (Victoria, BC) a few weeks ago, and they can't get it anymore!

Anonymous said...

It won't be available in Canada until they work out the labelling issues....too bad for all of us!

Born to be Vegan said...

Yes I was so disappointed but Turtle Mountain told me the feel pretty confident they will be back here within the year and that includes the yogurts and creamers too! Well worth the wait, I just love their coconut milk products. My kids are dying for the yogurts to come. Hopefully they'll here by the time school starts back in September (seems so long away!)

Anonymous said...

I bought a coconut vanilla milk at McEwan's @ the Shoppes at Don Mills today in Toronto. I love the rich, creamy texture & delicate vanilla taste.

Anonymous said...

I bought a coconut vanilla milk at McEwan's @ the Shoppes at Don Mills today in Toronto. I love the rich, creamy texture & delicate vanilla taste.

Anonymous said...

Just picked up a 2L of the original at Superstore in New Minas, NS this evening!!

Sandra said...

Anyone know where this is available in southern ON? I am in Kitchener/Waterloo and asked about it at the superstore today. They'd never heard of it.

Anonymous said...

I bought a container today at a Fortinos supermarket .It's really tasty . They had vanilla and the original .

Anonymous said...

hi, i bought a carton of the original (at Highland Farms). I was super excited because i love anything coconut but ...it doesnt taste like coconut at all. tastes like regular milk. Is this normal? sprlas

Born to be Vegan said...

The cartoons I've had have all had a coconut taste to them but we usually buy the vanilla one.

Mikmaqwoman's Sacred Space said...

I have been for in the last year have been enjoying coconut milk ! I do not buy dairy milk anymore due to digestive issues. I love coconut to begin with..and when i saw this product I was so excited to try it. I use is in my cereal, my shakes and just as a milk drink. I also love to use coconut oil in my cooking. I still have yet to try the yogurts...will be great I'm sure of it.
Thanks!

Laura said...

where in Halifax NS is this available and is there yogurt

Anonymous said...

This may to old news to some, but I have recently found the SD Coconut Milk at Whole Foods in Unionville, Ontario but probably available at all Whole Food locations? I was just checking to see where else it might be, a little closer to me. Will keep searching. :)