Thursday, September 23, 2010

Packing school lunches in our new PlanetBoxes!

Sorry for such a long absence from blogging...we have been adjusting to new schedules and getting into the "back to school" routine.

First up though an update on the haircut disaster. My youngest is now sporting a very short (and chic!) bob. And although there are large chunks of hair still missing in the back, with some artful blowdrying and combing we can hide much of it. I just hope the missing chunks grow back fast.

Ok so the last few weeks have been crazy with back to school in this house. My oldest started grade 1 and the youngest started preschool 2 mornings a week. Grade 1 has been a huge change for us because for the first time I have to send her to school with a lunch. I really wanted to have a good system for the school lunches and part of that was how to transport her lunch. I didn't want to be wasting time looking for lids to a million tupperware contains - not to mention I didn't want to use any plastic for her lunch either. So when I saw the planetbox I knew it would be perfect.

I first saw the planetbox on this blog (I so love this blog and I hope veganmomma starts blogging again - I have really missed her post!). I really hesitated when I saw the price ($59.95 US plus shipping) but after much internal debate and a lengthy chat with DH we decided to order them. And I'm so glad we did, they have made school lunches very healthy and easy for me to pack and Gabbie to eat!




I don't know why blogger is underlining this, so frustrating! Ok so here is one of her lunches from this week, cucumbers, blackberries, mini banana choc chip muffins, a field roast sandwich and some skittles for her "treat".


Here is her lunch with the big dipper for her snack - some yummy organic strawberries.

Here it is all packed up in her case with the magnets she chose for the day. We have 3 different sets and she really likes picking a set each morning.

And here it is already to go with her sigg bottle full of water for the day. She only drinks water throughout the day. Her big dipper is in the front pouch next to her water bottle.

Ok so here are my thoughts so far on the planet box. First up the likes. I love the compartment system for packing a lunch. You can put anything you want in each compartment obviously but we've designated a fruit one and a veggie one and every morning she picks a fruit(s) and veggie(s) to pack for school. The main compartment is for her "main meal" and the long tray is usually some filler or extras. I usually pack her snack in the big dipper and this works well for her. Its quick and easy for her to grab her snack out of the front pocket. It holds a lot of food. I was initially worried that it won't hold enough to keep her going all day but she always says she has more enough to eat. It is really easy to clean - I usually just wash it in the sink with my pots and pans at night then dry it and leave it open on the counter to pack for the next morning. On the weekend I wash it all up and put the dippers inside, pack it in the carry bag and put it away in a cupboard till Monday.

Now for my dislikes. I first started packing applesauce with cinnamon for a snack in her big dipper and it would leak in her carry case. According to the website if you put a "wet" food in the dippers and you don't put it in the actually box itself you need to put a rubber band around the dipper to secure it. I tried that and it still leaks so for right now I've been putting more fruit or crackers in the dipper. My daughter's dislike is that she finds pretty heavy to carry to school which means I usually carry it for her. I don't find it heavy but I'm not six either.

Thats all I can think of for now. As we pack more lunches I'll be sure to post more.

No comments: