Sunday, September 26, 2010

Apples, apples, apples!

Last week my friend went to her sisters house to pick apples and asked if I wanted some. I said only if they had enough to spare. I guess they had plenty to spare cuz I got a huge box full! What to do with all those apples?

First up was some apple sauce. The kids don't like it on its own (the apples are fairly tart and I didn't put hardly any sugar in the sauce) but they love it with cinnamon and sugar on it and in their oatmeal.

I always make a batch of mini muffins for the kids lunches so I decided to make the Apple Pecan muffins from The Joy of Vegan Baking. I made a few adjustments to the recipe. First I left out the pecans (no nuts at school) and instead of cutting the apple into chunks to add I shredded it with a grater and added it that way. The kids love apples but I had a feeling they wouldn't like the chunks of apple in the muffins. They turned out very well and the kids are excited to take some in their lunch.

Then last night I made some pie filling based on a recipe from Catherine over at Food Snob. She used some apples to make a pie filling that goes in the freezer and that sounded like a great way to use up some more of my apples! The recipe calls for 8 apples but my apples are pretty small so I kinda had to do a best guesstimate. I think I ended up with a double batch. I plan on using some of it for apple turnovers this week.

I still have half a box of apples to use up. I'm going to do some more baking and if that filling works out I'm going to use the rest for that. Sorry there are no pics...I was too busy to stop for the camera:)

No comments: