Monday, July 5, 2010

Steady Eddie

Awhile back I posted that I had won a contest over at Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. I was the lucky winner of a very nice t-shirt from Silver Hills Bakery and 5 coupons for free loaves of bread.

Silver Hills Bakery makes delicious sprouted grain breads that are minimally processed, high fiber, low fat and great tasting. I've borrowed the following from their website - I believe they say it best:


First off, we believe the simple things in life are best.

Second, we live this belief with our breads and bagels by making them the way they should be: as simple, organic and delicious as possible, and made with sprouted organic grains in their purest form to provide the highest nutritional value for you and your family.


Couldn't have said it better myself! I like not needing a chemistry degree to understand the ingredient list on my bread bag. So I promptly took one of my coupons to the store and bought a loaf of the Steady Eddie bread. I chose this bread for a number of reasons:

1. I love the name Steady Eddie

2. The t-shirt they sent me was a Steady Eddie t-shirt

3. Its sweetened with organic whole apples and

4. It has a GI rating of 55


So the choice was obvious and I picked a real winner! This bread is so very good. Seriously. If you don't believe me ask my kids. They won't eat anything just because its good for them. If they don't like it they aren't shy about telling me (whining to me) that they don't like it. I have made them toast with this bread and grilled cheese sandwiches with the vegan rice cheese and they love it. They also love the fact the their bread has a cool name like Steady Eddie (what can I say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it).

I've had many a sandwich with this bread - my favourite being a combo of hummus, avocado, tomates, broccoli sprouts, thin sliced red onion and pickle. I think the biggest thing I noticed after eating a sandwich made with this bread is that its really filling. Normally I'll eat a couple of sandwiches and I'll be hungry a few hours later but I only eat one of the afore mentioned sandwiches and I'm full till dinner. Not sure if its all the fibre or the low GI rating but it really fills you up.

We've been sticking with the Steady Eddie for awhile now but I'm looking forward to trying some different loaves with our coupons. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: