Friday, July 2, 2010

Happy Anniversary to me!

This June Dh and I celebrated 9 happy years together! Unfortunately it was a crazy week with school and the kids and dh has been working quite a bit of overtime so we didn't get to go out and celebrate just the two of us yet but things are slowing down to a more manageable pace so we'll have an evening out soon.

So I wanted to make a special supper that night but I also wanted to make something that the kids would like and eat too plus it was a warm night and I didn't want to turn the oven on or have dh bbq as he was coming home pretty late from work. And so I decided to make this:



Pad Thai from The Vegan Table and and asian salad that is my own "creation". The Pad Thai is awesome and we all love it and the salad was spinach, peppers, shredded carrots, cucumbers, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds and Renee's Asian Sesame dressing. Perfect summer meal!

I was trying to think of something special for dessert that night when Dreena posted on facebook that she had just made a double batch of brownies. That seemed like a dessert worthy of turning on the oven for. So I made these brownies without the icing and walnuts and I topped them with the So Delicious coconut milk vanilla bean ice cream. Dh was supper happy (and full)!


You may have noticed that my food pictures are a little more appealing (I hope!) - we finally got a new camera! It was pretty pricey but worth every penny imo. I was so tired of the crappy point and shoot camera that we had - it was so slow; there was way too much lag time between shots and I couldn't have that because my oldest graduated from Kindergarten a couple of weeks ago. After a disastrous last day of gymnastics (me trying to get lots of pics for dh who couldn't make it because work is so busy and missing every shot because the camera was so slow) I said no more and went out that day to get a new one. I'm still earning how to use it and how to proper photograph food but hopefully you'll see some more appetizing shots on this blog from now on!

And speaking of the graduation, after the grad I took both the girls out to the local coffee shop here in town for a special treat. The lady who owns the place does a lot of gluten free cooking and baking and is very allergy aware so she understands completely our request for no dairy. Look at the cute little soy hot chocolates she made the girls.


The girls have a love affair with hot chocolate (as does their mom!) so they were super happy with their special hot chocolates! Know what goes good with hot chocolate? These.


My husbands new favourite cookie - the Carob-Coconut-Pecan cookies from Vive. I had to make a few subs - Im out of spelt flour (how did that happen!) so I used whole wheat pastry flour and I used the enjoy life brand of chocolate chips (didn't have any carob chips) and I didn't have any pecans either but they turned out pretty excellent regardless! My husband loved them and my parents tried some the next day and my Dad said it was one of the best cookies he's ever had! So if you haven't tried these yet and its not too hot in your house (its really cooled down here for the last few days which has allowed me to do some baking again) give these a try.









2 comments:

Alicia said...

Happy Anniversary! Everything looks so yummy, especially that brownie! Personally, I think everything tastes better a la mode with So Delicious coconut milk ice cream! :P

Alicia said...

Happy Anniversary! Everything looks so delicious, especially the brownie! Personally, I think every dessert tastes better a la mode with So Delicious coconut milk ice cream! :)