Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Successful Day in the Kitchen!

So in my last few post I have been going on and on about enjoying the nice spring weather we've been having but this....



is what I woke up to yesterday morning! Actually it was worse than this because the wind was blowing something fierce! It was a spring blizzard and man it sucked, there is just no other word for it. The roads were a mess and we went grocery shopping that morning cuz it was 15% Tuesday (a big day for us for grocery shopping every month). By the time I dropped Gabbie off at school, got groceries and went to pick Gabbie up my jeans were soaking wet and I was frozen to the bone. Needless to say we skipped gymnastics yesterday afternoon and went to a friends house for lunch instead. My friend Karen made us the Quinoa, Mango and Black Bean salad from Vcon and peanut butter banana choc chip muffins from 100 best vegan recipes. It rocked...thanks for lunch again Karen!

So today Gabbie had no school (why couldn't there have been no school yesterday!) so we stayed home and had a pretty productive day in the kitchen!

This weekend I was on a roll making beans ( I was trying to stay busy after we had to take the youngest to the emergency room late friday night/early sat morning for croup. I figured if I stayed busy I wouldn't fall asleep!) . I made a big batch of black beans and a batch of navy beans. So today I made a black bean and sweet potatoe enchilada filling. I haven't made the enchiladas yet but I did taste the filling by scooping some on a few tortilla chips and it was super good! I'm looking forward to the enchiladas! And due to the crappy cold weather I decided to make a really hearty supper tonight...White Bean and Leek Cassoulet from Vcon.

The cassoulet pre cooked

The cooked cassoulet and our salad

Spinach salad with grape tomatoes and balsamic dressing

The happy kids eating their second bowlfuls!


If you have not made this dish yet you don't know what your missing! It is so delicious...a perfect winter (or cold spring) day dish! I didn't have any leeks so we left those out and I must say I think I like it better without the leeks and so did the kids. This supper made everyone happy and the kids are very happy that there is just enough leftovers for them for lunch tomorrow. The spinach salad is a staple at this house. We have 2 or 3 nights a week and it was a perfect pair with the cassoulet.

Well I'm off to sit with dh and watch some tv...I've been cleaning and in the kitchen all day and I feel like doing something mindless tonight!


No comments: