Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hummus to the rescue!

Yep its been another busy week! Yesterday was my husband's birthday and Saturday is my youngest' birthday (Saturday is also my niece's birthday - me and my sil had babies on the same day, same hospital, delivery rooms across the hall from each other and overnight rooms right next to each other. The girls are an hour and 4 minutes apart - practically twins!) I can't believe Olivia will be 3 - I'm excited and heartbroken all at the same time. Where has the time gone?!

Needless to say, there has been a lot of celebrating going on this week which means there has been extra cooking and baking going on as well. I knew I would be short on time this week so I made 2 batches of hummus and stocked up on whole wheat pitas and veggies so we'd have some quick lunches and snacks this week. I made the Chipotle Lime Two Bean Hummus and the Peanut Sesame Hummus from ED&BV. Both are excellent - I ran out of chickpeas for the Chipotle Lime Hummus so I used a mixture or white beans and kidney beans. I think it would make an excellent burrito filling (which I plan to try tomorrow for lunch) and I would say the Peanut Sesame Hummus is the best hummus I've made so far. I love pad thai and spicy peanut sauces so its no surprise that this hummus was such a big hit. I made double batches of each because my friend had a baby last week and I sent a batch of each home with her so she'd have some quick lunches/snacks too. I also plan on making veganomicon's quinoa, mango and black bean salad and the espresso oatmeal cookies for her for next week. I still remember what its like to have a new baby in the house and I think some quick, healthy eats are appreciated.

And speaking of babies it looks like I'd better start making a lot more hummus cuz it seems like everyone I know is having a baby! My cousin is due in June, my sister is having twins! and is due in July but is excepted to delivery in June as well, my sil is due in September and my best friend is pregnant after 7 years of trying and is due in September as well! I'd better go get cracking in the kitchen.....

2 comments:

Vegan Valerie said...

Isn't hummus just the greatest! I love it, but I don't have it nearly often enough. I need to try whipping up a batch.

It's great to find your blog! It seems we both frequent Heather at "Vegan Heart Doc"! She's great! I wish I lived near her so she could be my doctor!

And didn't that "Forks Over Knives" documentary just look great?! It's wonderful to see things like that. So encouraging...

It's been fun to talk with you! We vegan's should stick together! :)

Born to be Vegan said...

Hummus is so versatile....we eat it almost everyday!

"Forks Over Knives" looks fantastic! I can't wait to see it. I've been telling everyone to read the China Study...maybe this documentary will inspire them to do that.

Your right...we vegan's definitely need to stick together! :)