Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thanksgiving - Part 2

Another busy day is done! I am almost ready for the big day tomorrow. Still a little more laundry to do and a little bit of last minute tidying but food wise I'm right on schedule.

Today I tackled the desserts. We're having 3 different pies. I made the Pumpkin Cheese Pie and Chocolate Pumpkin Pie from ED&BV and the Cranapple Maple Pie from More Good Great Dairy-Free Desserts. For the Chocolate Pumpkin Pie I used the Cocoa Walnut Crust recipe from Extraveganza. Basically its just ground walnuts with cocoa powder and agave and oil. And for the Pumpkin Cheese Pie and the Cranapple Maple Pie I went with a traditional pastry crust. The pie fillings turned out great, especially the Cranapple filling - its the best fruit filling I have ever tried but I was seriously disappointed with the pie crust. I was going to use the one in The Joy of Vegan Baking but then I decided to try the one in More Good Great Dairy-Free Desserts. It is the worst pie crust I have ever tried. I am so disappointed but I don't have time (or money) to remake the 2 pies. At least I know for next time. I should have went with my instincts - I trust Colleen's recpes 100%, they haven't let me down yet! I'm sure everyone will still like the pies - the crust are terrible but the good news is that they are super thin so they won't have much impact.

I won't be blogging tomorrow cuz I already know I'll be way too busy but I'll be sure to post on Monday and let you all know how the big day went.


No comments: