Friday, October 9, 2009

Thanksgiving - Part 1

I love the Fall. I love looking at the leaves changing colour, I love the warm fall days and crisp fall evenings and of course Thanksgiving is in the fall and Thanksgiving just happens to be one of my favourite holidays.

Now if you were to look out my window you would not think that its fall, it looks like winter. It snowed here yesterday and I had to bring out all of our winter coats! Its not just crisp out folks, its damn cold! But thats ok because it will make Thanksgiving all that more cozy right?!

In my family we spilt hosting the holidays and since Thanksgiving happens to be one of my favourites (its a tie between Thanksgiving and Christmas but really I think Thanksgiving wins) I host it at my house. Let the fun (and work!) begin.

Thanksgiving is Monday here but we are celebrating it with my family on Sunday. We are celebrating with my husbands family on the holiday Monday.

To kick off the festivities I decided to treat myself to a soy pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks. Then it was a quick trip to get the groceries before I had to pick my oldest up from Kindergarten and then the girls both had haircuts. Then we headed home and I put a movie on for them while I got to work in the kitchen. I always have the same strategy for hosting big family dinners - prep everything I can ahead of time so I'm not stressed the day of. In fact I actually plan my dinner menu with this in mind. I try to pick things that I can make ahead of time and cook the day of with minimal effort. So today I started by cleaning out my fridge and organizing the kitchen. Then I washed and chopped all the veggies. I got as much laundry done as I could (there is still some left but tomorrow is another day) and I made double the supper tonight we can have leftovers tomorrow.

And now its time for me to get to bed. Today was a busy day and tomorrow will be too but it will all be worth it on Sunday when I'm actually enjoying myself with my family instead of being stuck in the kitchen the whole time.

No comments: