Friday, June 5, 2009

The Joy of Vegan Baking

I admit it - I am a complete and total bookworm. I got my first library card at age 7 and I went to the library every single day . I still go to the library every week but I also buy more than my fair share of books (I am probably one of amazon.ca's best customers). So you can only imagine how many cookbooks I own. The problem with me and cookbooks is sometimes I buy them, I drool over all the pictures and then I don't use them.

Today I had some friends over for coffee/tea this morning and I wanted to bake a few treats to serve. I decided it was high time to dust off one of those cookbooks and try a few new recipes. The book I decided to give a whirl was the Joy of Vegan Baking. Boy am I ever glad I did! I have read nothing but great reviews from this book and I am a big fan of the podcast so I don't know what took me so long to try this book out. Below is a quick review of each recipe I tried.

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins - I knew I had to make this recipe for sure. You can't go wrong with any muffin that has Chocolate Chips in it! Ok first the bad - they have a whole cup of white sugar in them and they are made with white flour however I'm sure you could cut down on the sugar and probably use a whole wheat pastry flour. Now the good - these muffins are awesome! So moist and super tasty! As soon as these babies came out of the oven I knew they were gonna be delicious and I was right ( I'm right 99.9% of the time...just ask my husband...lol). These were gobbled up right away and I'm happy/sad to report I have none left more my breakfast tomorrow. 

Lemon Blueberry Muffins - I want to make these ones for 2 reasons. First fresh blueberries are on sale right now so they were actually affordable to make (sometimes blueberries can cost as much as 7 dollars for a tiny package in my neck of the woods. I'm not prepared to spend $15 on blueberries to make muffins). The second reason is I thought the combination of blueberries and lemons was very spring/summer like. Ok so they have the same bad points as the Banana Chocolate Chip ones but they were absolutely sensational! They were going almost as fast as the Banana Chocolate Chip ones. In fact my youngest had two of these and she probably would have had more if I had let her.

Folks, 7 ladies (and one little lady) ate 24 muffins! Yes they are that good. So good I didn't even get a picture.

Apple Strudel - I have always wanted to try this recipe but I was a little intimidated by the phyllo. I have never worked with phyllo before but Colleen's instructions seemed pretty clear so I decided to give it a go. Easy as can be! You have to work fast with the phyllo but as long as your organized and have everything ready to go it is a simple procedure. I loved it! Taste just like apple pie in a light, flaky wrapping.  We had it for dessert last night and my husband polished off the leftovers tonight. In fact he ate almost the whole thing himself. I can see this is going to have to be a sometime treat the way it was gobbled up.

So there you have it. One strudel and 24 muffins later I highly recommend the Joy of Vegan Baking. And so do all my guest from this morning. 

No comments: