Sunday, May 10, 2009

Udon Noodle Stirfry

Happy Mothers Day too all the moms out there. So far my Mothers Day has been pretty darn great. I got to sleep in (well I was still awake at he normal time but I stayed in bed a read for awhile, a real treat!) enjoyed a breakfast of toast with peanut butter made by my 5 year old and now I'm sipping a cup of tropical green tea and doing a post that I've been meaning to get up for a few days now.

Spring is such a busy time of the year and this year has been particularly busy. My niece on my husband's side of the family (he is the youngest by quite a bit so my nieces and nephews on my husband's side are quite a bit older than my children which works because we have lots of babysitters...not that we ever go out anywhere! ) is getting married at the end of the month and my oldest is a flower girl. So there's all the showers and dress fittings and rehearsals, etc. Plus I had to register my oldest for KINDERGARTEN this week! I can't believe she is going to kindergarten already. Its cliche but true...time goes by so quickly. And in addition to all of that there is all the outside work that needs to happen for the spring. I leave most of that to my husband (he fancies himself somewhat of an expert in lawn maintenance) but the flowers are all mine and I am so excited that I got all my pots planted this week. They are growing so fast already except for one that looks like he needs a little extra tlc. 

Needless to say we have needed some quick meals this week. I can honestly say that I love vegetables. So do my kids, there are very few that they don't like. My husband on the other hand is not a vegetable lover. Its his upbringing. To this day my mother in law still only makes microwaved peas or corn for vegetables or a tossed salad consisting of  iceberg lettuce, green onions and maybe a tomato slice or two. So I have a challenge when it comes to him and vegetables. But I have two surefire ways to get him to eat almost any veg. If I marinate them and grill them on the bbq or a stir fry. For this meal I opted for a stir fry. 



I had to clean out the fridge so we had a little bit of everything in here. In sesame oil I stir fried broccoli, finely chopped kale, red peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, onions and shredded cabbage. Just throw in some udon noodles and some ginger teriyaki sauce and you have a great supper. The everyone, including my husband, had seconds of this one. Normally I throw in some chickpeas too but we were all out. It was still filling and delicious. 

Part of my Mothers Day gift this year is dinner out at one of my favourite restaurants. I'll take pics tonight and report back tomorrow.

Have a great Sunday!


No comments: