Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Here's the Scoop

So if you've been reading my blog the last couple of months you've noticed that we eat alot of the So Delicious Coconut Milk Ice Cream products. 

Those little ice cream sandwiches (as well as the ice cream) are pretty low in sugar, soy-free, and are just darn tasty. But they are also pretty expensive ($7.69 for a pint of ice cream or a box of the sandwiches in my neck of the woods) and we really can't afford to keep buying these all the time. So for my birthday I decided to treat myself to something I've been wanting for awhile.



This ice cream machine was pretty reasonably priced and I figured with what we were spending on the coconut milk ice cream at the store it would pay for itself in no time. I also ordered myself The Vegan Scoop from amazon. When I first pre-ordered the book I emailed the authored and asked if the recipes were all soy-based. I didn't receive an answer but when the book arrived it was indeed mostly soy-based. However the author suggest you try different milk combinations and thats just what I did. 

First recipe up was the Basic Chocolate Ice Cream recipe. I pretty much followed the recipe but where it called for soy creamer I used a can of low fat coconut milk and where it called for soy milk I used Chocolate Almond milk. 


Here is a picture of it churning away in the ice cream maker.


 
And below is the finished product. 



So how did it taste? It was fabulous! Even my husband, who swore he would never give up his dairy ice cream, loved it! It was really simple to make, fast in the ice cream maker (only took 30 minutes) and much cheaper than buying it from the store. The consistency was closer to soft serve ice cream right out of the maker but I'm sure if you popped it into the freezer it would firm right up. We ate all of the ice cream that night (hey it was hot out!). 

So if you've been thinking about getting The Vegan Scoop I highly recommend it. I'm excited to try out alot more flavours.

No comments: