Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sweet Potato Lentil Chili

A couple of weeks ago the weather was so nice you could almost smell spring in the air. Not anymore. Winter has come back with a vengeance here (looks like the ground hog was right this year!). So instead of being grumpy about the weather I decided in enjoy the last days of winter by making all the warm, hearty soups, stews and chili's I can, and believe me we need warm dinners with this weather!

I've had my eye on the Sweet Potato Lentil Chili in Eat, Drink and Be Vegan for awhile. I wish I hadn't waited so long to make it. What an awesome dish! I found I needed to add a bit more water and up the spices a bit but in the end it turned out spectacular. I also added some corn to the mix. The only thing I would recommend with this dish is if you're going to make it give it plenty of stewing time. The flavors really develop the longer you can leave it. I'm sure you could even make this in a slowcooker. This makes a nice big pot so we have so leftovers for lunches and I froze some in containers for a quick work day lunch. Below is my terrible picture. Don't let it dissuade you from making this, it is very tasty!



I must say of all my vegan cookbooks Dreena's, especially Eat, Drink and Be Vegan, are the ones I most often turn to. I have yet to have a recipe not turn out great and they are all really healthy recipes, even the cookies! I also like that they are fairly bean/legume and whole grain heavy as opposed to soy/tofu heavy. I am soy sensitive and can't eat hardly any. I'm looking very forward to her new cookbook.

No comments: