Tuesday, February 10, 2009

More Quick Meals

As promised, more pics of the quick eats we've been having lately. February is always a busy month for us (4 birthdays and Valentine's Day of course so there are lots of family gatherings). 

I saw a recipe for a Pineapple Curry Hummus somewhere and I wanted to try it for the longest time. I finally decided to give it a go and then I couldn't find the recipe. Fortunately I remembered most of it. Basically take one can of rinsed chickpeas, add 2 tbsp. tahini, 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon, 1 tsp. curry powder, 1/4 cup of olive oil. Blend in a food processor. Then mix in 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple. This was ok, not terrible but not great. I don't think I'll make it again. Or maybe I just need to tweak the recipe. I think there is potential for the flavour combo, just needs some tinkering. If I get something better going I'll be sure to post it.


Had some spinach in the fridge that needed to be used up so I made a spinach salad with pears, grapes, and sunflower seeds with a Tangerine Lime dressing (Renee's brand). Perfect light supper. Renee's makes quite a few vegan salad dressings so if you need a few go to dressing for the fridge check them out. Another one of my favourites of her's is the Pear Guava vinaigrette. So good.


 I generally have a no chocolate for breakfast rule but sometimes rules are meant to be broken (only by me of course, not the kids!). And so chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast it was. They were whole wheat and we had fruit salad and smoothies with them to balance things out. Best breakfast we've had in awhile.

The weather has cooled off here so we need a stick to your ribs kind of dinner. I had to work that day (I work one day a week) so we also needed a make ahead dinner. And so I present the baked penne. So easy a chipmunk could make it. Saute veggies of your choice (we had zucchini, red peppers and mushrooms) boil penne (I used Rizopia's brown rice penne. Seriously the best penne out there and in my opinion rizopia makes the best brown rice pasta. It truly doesn't get mushy at all.) and mix with marinara sauce. I made this the day before and then warmed it in the oven when I got home from work. With a salad and garlic toast it made a great supper with minimal prep. 



No comments: