Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Great Grains

Sorry for the lack of posts lately but we've been super busy. And when your super busy sometimes the meals can be a little repetitive. Needless to say I've been doing some batch cooking. I find it easy to make a big batch of grains up and then use them in different dishes. Makes for fast meals.

First up was a big batch of Quinoa. Full of fiber, protein, gluten free and versatile, whats not to love about it. Me and my youngest love Veganomicon's  Quinoa, Mango and Black Bean salad. Easy to make, last for days in the fridge, filling and tastes amazing! Great for lunch or supper on a warm day (or any day!). If you haven't made this salad yet you don't know what your missing! This recipe alone was worth the purchase price of the cookbook. My whole family loves this salad...even the carnivores.



My oldest daughter loves rice, brown basmati rice to be exact. What can I say, she has great taste like her mom! We all love brown basmati rice, in fact its pretty much the only rice we eat. One of our favourite ways to prepare it is steamed, then into a saute pan with a little sesame oil, peppers, green onion, frozen peas and corn and some Bragg's (or soy sauce, whatever you have on hand.). This a much healthier version of the chinese fried rice we used to love so much.


I promise I have been doing more cooking than this. I will post some more pics tomorrow (hopefully!). 

No comments: