Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Busy day in the kitchen

I hate waking up with a cold. I hate it even more when one of my children wake up with a cold. So when Me and the youngest both woke up with colds I knew I was in for a long day. So we dropped my oldest off at playschool and instead of going to Rhyme Time at the library like we normally do (don't want to spread the germs) we headed back to the house for some quality nesting time. My youngest spent her time nesting in the playroom (more like destroying it but thats ok when your sick, atleast she was happy) and I spent my time in the kitchen. First up was the fridge. It desperately needed to be cleaned out. I found quite a few tomatoes in the crisper and some of them were looking like me after spending a few too many minutes in the tub so before they completely spoiled I decided to make a quick tomato sauce with them. No real recipe, just dice up some roma tomatoes, mince some garlic and saute in olive oil in a pot. I didn't have any fresh basil so I tossed in some italian seasoning. Now what to do with the sauce...I also had some wraps that had to be used up and so lunch was what you see below.


Black olive, artichoke and red onion pizza. Some red peppers would have been good on here to but sadly the kiddies at them all. They love munching on peppers strips. Can't complain, it might be expensive this time of year but their a healthy snack.

The girls didn't like the looks of my lunch so they opted for a wrap spread with peanut butter rolled around a banana. They think this is such a special lunch....glad I can impress them with so little effort!

After lunch I go the girls settled down with their blankets watching a movie. Wall-E is the big thing at this house right now. I have yet to see it despite it being watched several times by the girls already. I got back into the kitchen  to make some muffins. Blueberry was requested this time so I veganized this recipe. I just used flax eggs for the eggs called for in the recipe. They turned out great. We all really like them. In fact everyone likes them so much I have a feeling I'll be making another batch this week.

Then I decided to make a special treat for dessert. I saw the brownies that Carrie posted about and knew I had to make them. Texture wise they were bang on. Nice a fudgy just how I like them. Unfortunately they tasted rather plain. Maybe I missed something in the recipe. The search for the perfect vegan brownie continues....

And lastly for dinner I was craving fajitas. Nothing special here, just peppers, mushrooms, onions and guac. Hit the spot. After all that cooking and cleaning up from all that cooking I was ready to hit the sack. 

Hopefully we're all feeling a bit better tomorrow.

No comments: