Thursday, January 22, 2009

This is what happens when you have a menu plan

Just thought I'd share with you some of the meals we've been enjoying lately. It probably looked like the meal planning thing had gone out the window since I have really posted much be rest assured that since I got on my feet again after that cold I've been planning and cooking up a storm. Meal time at our house has become a lot less stressful and we have a lot more variety.

First up is a dish I posted about briefly before in the spring but blogger was giving me some grief when I tried to post a picture. Below is the Mushroom Curry Penne. I always make a double batch of this and freeze a couple of individual portions for lunches for myself. This is a great pasta dish if you like things a little spicy. Not too spicy though, even my toddler loves this one.



Mushroom Curry Penne - Serves 4

1 Tbsp -  Chopped green onion
1 - Medium chopped onion
3 - cloves of garlic pressed
1 - large red pepper chopped
6 - medium mushrooms sliced
4 Tbsp - olive oil
1 Tbsp - sugar
2 ounces - maple syrup
3/4 cup - vegetable broth (i use the campbells organic veg broth)
1/2 cup - regular non - sweetened soy milk or creamer (or other non dairy milk)
3 Tbsp - soy cream cheese
7 cups - uncooked penne
3 Tbsp - Patak's Original mild curry paste

Cook your penne. In a very large saute pan lightly sauteed mushrooms in a frying pan. Set aside for later. Saute Onion and garlic in olive oil for approx. 
3 minutes. Add curry paste and sugar and stir till caramelized. Add maple syrup and cook for 1 minute. Add veg broth and milk or creamer and bring to a slight boil for approx. 1 minute till oil and milk start to mix. Then let boil down. Add soy cream cheese and stir until melted and mixed in. Add your red pepper, green onion and mushrooms and mix in well. Turn heat to low. Start adding in your cooked penne and mix well. Keep adding and mixing penne until desired covering is achieved.

Another favourite at this house is tacos. Sometimes we have lentil tacos but I think our favourite ones are the Chickpea Tacos. I like mine with tomatoes, green onion, olives and guacamole (my guac is in the bottom of the taco shell).



Eat Drink and Be Vegan's Black Bean and Orange Hummus. Makes a great lunch spread on some pita with some veggies and dip. 


And finally Veganomicon's Banana Bread. I add some peanut butter to the batter mix and my kids go crazy for it. I think some almond butter or other nut butter in the batter would be good too.

I'll post some more meals tomorrow.

1 comment:

PB said...

THANKS FOR FOLLOWING...

www.updownlongwayaround.blogspot.com/

and please look at

www.peterbrucephoto.com

cheers pb