Friday, January 30, 2009

Pumpkin Walnut Muffins

It was a long day today. Friday is grocery shopping day and I take the youngest with me after we drop my oldest off at playschool for the morning. Grocery shopping with an almost 2 year old is never fun. Plus it rained here last night (is it January or July?) so my drive way and sidewalk were pure ice this morning. So after putting the youngest down for a nap, the oldest and I spent the afternoon chipping away at the ice (well I did the ice chipping, she made a snowman). I am completely wiped. Still I felt some muffins with my smoothie for breakfast tomorrow so I made up a big batch of Pumpkin Walnut muffins. I only put walnuts in half of them because I want to send some for snack with my daughter of school and there is no nuts permitted at school. Too bad because the walnuts make these extra tasty. This recipe makes alot of muffins (I got 30 out of this batch) so make room in your freezer!




Pumpkin Walnut Muffins

Wet Ingredients
3/4 cup of flax egg mixture (see below)
3/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cup date sugar
3 cups of soy, rice or almond milk
2 cups of pumpkin puree

Dry Ingredients

4 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
 1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Flax Eggs

1/4 cup flax seeds
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
Process flax seeds in food processor until well ground. Stream in water slowly and mix for a few minutes. Put in a bowl and store in fridge for at least 1 hour before using to "set". Will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge.

Sift all dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside. Mix together all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Blend wet into the dry, do not over mix or muffins will be tough. Add in walnuts if desired. Fill paper muffin cups 3/4 full with batter. Bake at 375 degrees for 22 - 25 minutes.
These muffins are not too sweet and the walnuts add a nice crunch. I'm looking forward to a hot bath, a good nights sleep (the youngest has molars coming in so we'll see about that one) and a great breakfast tomorow.

No comments: