Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Drink your veggies

Ok as promised here is my post on my vita-mix and my beloved green smoothie. 

I had always wanted a vita-mix. I'm not sure how many 17 year olds sit in their beds at night drooling over a vita-mix brochure but I certainly did (yes I was a bit of a nerd in high school). More than I wanted a car I wanted that machine and I promised myself that one day I would buy myself one. Well one day came 9 years later on my 26th birthday. I had just had my first daughter the previous fall and I felt I needed to buy myself something extra special to celebrate both her birth (and my making it through labour!) and my birthday. And so I purchased my Vita-mix 5000. Immediately after I ordered it I felt guilty about spending so much money and vowed to send it back once it arrived. And when it came I broke down and told my husband just how much money I had spent on it. After he got over the initial, he said if I really wanted it that much then I should keep it. So I told him I'd try it for 2 weeks and if I didn't use as much as I thought I would then I'd send it back.

So I started to use it to make baby food. It was a lifesaver in that department. It was so fast and easy to clean. Then I started making smoothies in it. Just your average frozen fruit and milk/yogurt mix (I wasn't a Vegan back then). It made a pretty darn excellent smoothie. Then I tried my hand and whole food juice and never looked back. Whole food juice simply means that the whole fruit was used to make the juice, nothing was extracted. They say that much of the nutrients are lost in juicing because a lot of the nutrients are in the pulp and fiber.

I can honestly say that whole food juicing has changed my life. I have lost weight and gained a lot of energy and I attribute it to my smoothies/juices. I love them and my kids love them. They cheer for their monster smoothie and inside I am cheering that not only are they drinking their fruits, they are also drinking their veggies. Kale, broccoli and carrots usually. Sometimes I add other greens. The dominate flavour is always the fruits. Favorites are orange/grapefruit an
pineapple/orange. The juice is blended so smooth you would think it was extracted. If anyone is thinking about buying a vita-mix I would highly recommend it. I have never had a problem with mine.  Below is a Monster smoothie with pineapple. kale, broccoli and ice.





Add Image

No comments: