Sunday, December 14, 2008

When Ideas Go Right

I have had a couple of ideas in my head for awhile now and I even though I'm busy enough just trying to keep up with all the Christmas activities going on I had to try them out.

First up is a raw vegan coconut truffle of sorts. I'm sure most of you have seen or tried a raw brownie recipe. This is similar but I put in half the normal amount of walnuts and added some coconut. Then I shaped them into balls and rolled them in coconut. They taste awesome. I am so pleased with how they turned out. My mom is a huge coconut fan and I can't wait for her to try these (she is sick with a cold right and is so stuffed up she can't taste much, I just hope there are some left when she is better!). I have posted the recipe below for these and I just wanted to make a quick note about the dates. Medjool dates are very different from your average dried date. Make sure you buy  medjool dates or this won't work out at all (trust me, this is the voice of experience speaking). I apologize for the poor quality pics, I'm still have some camera issues.


Coconut Truffle Recipe

1 cup of Medjool Dates, pitted
1/4 cup of Cocoa Powder (I use the one from Cocoa Camino)
1/2 cup of walnuts
1/2 cup of coconut

Put everything in the food processor and whiz till combined. The mixture will be a little loose. roll into little balls. Sprinkle some coconut on a dinner plate. Roll balls in coconut. Store in freezer (the freeze excellently) and remove as needed.

Make a double batch - these won't last long. They have earned a spot on my Christmas "baking" platter!

Ok next up was an idea that I didn't think was going to work but work it did and our family dinner tonight was all the proof I needed.

Tonight we had a family dinner for my Dad's birthday. I didn't have to bring anything so I thought this would be a good time to try out my next idea - if it flopped no one would be the wiser and if it worked then I would test them out on the family, many who are devote meat eaters. And so I give you vanilla cupcakes with a chocolate hazelnut mousse topping.

Ok so they look like any old cupcake and the cake part is. Its the vanilla cupcake recipe from ED&BV. Its the mousse thats so special. Its made out of......white kidney beans! I have been playing around with the idea for a soy free mousse for some time now and the beans were the perfect substitute. I told only my parents about the special ingredient (although they are not vegans or even vegetarians they are very health conscious and very supportive of my decision to be vegan so I let them in on the secret as long as they didn't tell anyone else). All who had one loved them - the mousse part atleast. The cupcake wasn't quite what I had hoped for. I think I'll try the  recipe from VCTOTW next time but everyone loved the mousse. I stilled haven't told them whats in it and I don't plan to. My brother in law hates all beans so if he knew he'd never eat one again. Thats ok...I can keep a secret. My kids went crazy for these - my oldest proclaimed them to be the best cupcake she ever had. I almost wanted to cry.  I'm still perfecting the mousse recipe but I'll post it soon. Below are pics of my little ones enjoying their cupcakes.

I hope everyone is keeping warm and cozy this holiday season. I'm trying a few more new recipes this week so I post pics and reviews.

No comments: