Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year, New Goals

As the big day approaches its now time for me to layout my plans for a more productive 2009.

Of course there is the usual eat healthier and exercise more. Lets face it, its an ongoing process, being the healthiest you that you can be. Some days I make all the "right" choices, some days I do pretty good, and some days I just plain fall off the wagon. But I always get back on, because one bad choice or meal or even an entire bad day of eating isn't going to cancel out all the other good choices I make each and everyday. And I think thats what its all about, everyday you try to do your best and if you don't then you try again the next day. Like I said its an ongoing process for most of us. Fortunately, my Dad always said I have more tenacity then anyone he knows (actually what he may have said was that I was stubborn and that I never back down when there is something I want but I looked it up...thats tenacity folks!). 

Most of time when I "fall of the wagon" its not that I had a craving or a lack of willpower, its that I had no plan. And that leads me to my resolution for 2009.

My resolution for 2009 is to help myself out by planning things out more often. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mom of 2 young children. A trip to the store to grab toilet paper requires a plan ( you laugh but you haven't met my kids). Its not like I fly by the seat of my pants all the time but I could definitely do more planning in the meal/groceries department. And thats exactly what I'm going to work on in 2009. More meal plans means better meals and leftovers, less groceries and hopefully more fun in the kitchen.

When I became Vegan I made the decision to do it but it had to be a healthy diet. No processed soy products, no meals consisting or refined grains and not much else. That is not a true Vegan or Vegetarian diet to me and I think people who eat that kind of diet thinking they are "healthy" simply because they don't eat meat are far off the mark. Thats why I'm such a big fan of Dreena Burton's cookbooks. I love reading her cookbooks and blog because she sets a great example for me. She's a busy wife and Mom of two young girls but on top of that she's also a cookbook author, she's super creative in the kitchen, she's a health conscious and compassionate cook, and she always takes time to share her great ideas and recipes with us.

She is probably a lady with a plan. 

No comments: